Saltfish can accompany many vegetable dishes or commly be paired with bake. The fish it self is salted to preserve its freshness over time. Commonly used fish varieties are cod and haddock.
- In a large bowl break salted fish apart and soak in water
- Rinse to get rid of excess salt, until water runs clear
- In a heavy skillet, sautée onions, garlic and tomato paste with oil. You can add less tomato paste depending on the flavor you are trying to achieve. I love the taste of sweet tomatoes so I add heaping tablespoons
- Add shredded salt fish and incorporate mixture. You can add tomatoes, wiri wiri peppers and scallions to taste
- On low heat, fry the Saltfish until it becomes dry and “crunchy “. If it starts to catch at the bottom of the pan lower the heat and quickly stir so it doesn’t burn
- Mostly likely you won’t have to add any salt to this dish but taste and adjust accordingly