Mashed potatoes or should I say aloo choka, the ultimate comfort food. Even better spicy mashed potatoes. It’s amazing what a bland potato can be transformed into. This dish is the perfect accompaniment to dhal and rice. Have any extras still left over? Make aloo roti !
- Fill a large pot with water and add whole potatoes with the skin on. I don’t cut the potatoes when boiling them, doing so I notice them absorbing too much water when boiling
- Boil until fork tender
- Drain and set aside to cool
- Once cool, peel the skin off the potatoes
- Mash potatoes until smooth. You can use a fork or a potato ricer for extra smoothness
- Mash in the chopped onions and or scallions, wiri wiri pepper and salt